Wednesday 6 February 2013

Shading started!!

The paint went 'tacky' a lot sooner than I anticipated. I've found that waiting until the paint is kinda of smudgy makes shading much more easy.
When it's too wet (or thin) brushing somewhat firmly tends to take the paint off, rather than put it on.  When it's fully dry, it obviously doesn't blend as nicely.
For the first shading colour, I used the same mixture as the base colour (2/3 yellow ochre: 1/3 burnt sienna) and added burnt umber as needed.
It was JUST the right choice of colour (yeah.. I got lucky. Usually takes me a couple tries before I get the colour I want) and I'm not gonna lie... I'm pretty proud of today's effort.


P2074229

No you may NOT see the other side. It's failing right now....Lets just enjoy this side, eh?

I'm getting more and more angry at the mane. I managed to remove the flaky particles covering the model (see how smooth it is?? Mmmm) but it just doesn't look very nice. The plain black paint is making it look kind of 2D, and I'm not sure if it's my (lack of) sculpting talent or my colour choice that is at fault here.

Anyway, I'm undecided to whether I'll add some darker shading or not. As of now, the colour is SPOT ON my reference, but I'm sure I could make those highlights pop ever more...
Decisions, decisions.

I also have NO CLUE how to go about his dorsal stripe. Mr. reference horse has a pretty distinct black dorsal stripe that stops at his hip, but it's all looking a bit... fake right now.

Speaking of Mr. Reference horse, I'm going  to go lunge him and take a break from painting.
Wee!


No comments:

Post a Comment