Friday 1 February 2013

A Strict 'Don't Laugh' Rule.

Hi everyone. I'm Alicia, and I'm new to the hobby.
Like.... less than 6 months new. As in, 6 months ago I had no idea that people customized model horses and sold them for hundreds of dollars.
At first it was kind of like "People BUY these things? How can they justify spending $500+ on a MODEL?"
Then I was all, " I guess this could be considered art...."
Which turned into, "Droooooool, Gimme gimme!".
(I may also be currently paying off a rather expensive resin... Shhh...)

And so, I've arrived here, striving to be artistic and find a niche in the hobby - a niche that isn't just buying expensive models and placing them around my house.
I have a somewhat artistic past, but painting, sculpting and handling power tools were never my strong points.
To be honest, I'm a total klutz and I don't have much patience for fiddly and time consuming things. Sounds like the perfect hobby for me, eh? And yet something keeps drawing me back into model horse world. I can spend hours on Blab and MH$P drooling over one thing or another, and that itch to experiment is insistent.
So I did what any (in)sane person would do. I bought a box full of reject models, some basic art supplies and starting reading tutorials like mad.
I haven't found my niche yet. I want to try anything and everything. The sky's the limit, amiright?

With the beginning of this blog comes a strict 'no laughing' rule (well, a bit of laughing is okay).  I have no idea what I'm doing, and it shows in my work. I AM trying, though. My goal isn't to have LSQ models or even to have high quality models. The goal is to keep my hands busy and my mind thinking in an artistic way, all the while enjoying myself. Above all, I want to make progress and improve as time goes on.

To start things off, here is a Cigar model with my first ever custom mane. Maybe not a total success, but I don't feel like scrapping it and starting again which is a good start! I think I can refine it a bit more with my trusty dremel and some elbow grease, and I'm hoping it will look better once painted.

P2014209
I spent 2 months planning this mane. I based it off a recent addition to my herd at work, a lovely TB with a rather luscious mane. Drilling and gluing in the armature was a bit hairy, but somehow it worked.

P2014211

I think next time I'll use a different clay. I know Apoxie/Epoxie is the No.1 choice, but I couldn't justify paying the price and shipping for an experiment, so I just went with the best quality air-drying clay I could find locally. I also need to spend more time on the actual sculpting and perfecting (did I mention I don't have much patience?).

P2014208
Oh well. It can only get better!


No comments:

Post a Comment